The Center for Creative Leadership was honored to partner with Global Leadership Associates and Bill Torbert in designing and hosting a Research Forum on vertical leadership development, 27-29 London 2017. Joining us were colleagues from Google, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The Third Act, and Penske Trucks.
We focused on practical applications of vertical leadership development and asked each other:
- How have you been using and applying ideas and methods based in (or related to) vertical development (aka stage theory) for leadership development? What works best?
- In particular, how do you use vertical development ideas and methods to develop organizational systems, practices, policies, strategies, and cultures (not just individuals)? What works best?
- How do you measure progress?
We will report our findings in a technical report to be issued soon. Watch this space.
In the meantime, some of the topics this group is addressing are:
- Action inquiry in the face of complex challenges in a changing world
- Leadership cultures & their transformations
- Architectures for leadership development: Vertical as the scaffold, and the spotlight
- Executive team coaching
- The Leadership Culture Map™
- Effective leadership strategies in a VUCA world
- The scientific evaluation of vertical development
- Vertical development for everybody, everywhere
- Immunity to change & deliberately developmental organizations
- Development and impact at multiple levels: society, organization, group, individual (SOGI)
- Life journeys / From Here to There Stories / Story telling
- How to frame developmental feedback
- Seven ways of framing power & politics
- Mindfulness / meditation / holistic and integral practices
- Systems thinking
- Dealing with complexity
- The Global Leadership Profile for assessing vertical development
- The Transformations™ card decks for exploring life journeys
- Chuck Palus, palusc(at)ccl.org
- Elaine Herdman-Barker, Elaine(at)GLA.global
- Richard Izard, richard(at)GLA.global